St. Andrew’s, a church outside of Lexington, Kentucky, needed a redesign for their logo. Take a look below, and you’ll start to see some problems.
- The shield is a bit clunky. The heavy black lines draw too much attention to the star in the middle, and the red border is uneven.
- The playful main font is a bit thrown together. Presumably it’s designed in the style of paintbrush strokes, but the pieces don’t line up. The A is all out of whack, and the E looks like it’s groaning.
- The red line is unnecessary and distracts from the text.
- The words “Anglican Church” are too thin to be visible when the logo is printed at a small size.
Here was the first revision I made of the logo. St. Andrew’s used this for several years. I corrected the problems above (notice the changes to the letters) and also refined the color palette.
When St. Andrew’s started a sister church in Frankfort, they wanted to adapt the shield to show a relationship between the new churches. But with no typographic starting point, I was free to bring in a fresh font.
Eventually, St. Andrew’s decided they liked the St. Peter’s typography so much that they wanted a new update to their own logo to match. I also simplified the color palette and shield even more. I went with charcoal gray instead of black for the type so it wouldn’t look too severe next to the red.